PEN Center USA (PEN USA) mobilizes approximately 1,000 professional writers to promote freedom of speech and the literary arts in a variety of ways. Our programs include: public literary forums, writer residencies in underserved public high schools, a mentorship fellowship for diverse aspiring writers, instructional seminars on the writing profession, human rights campaigns on behalf of censored and imprisoned writers, and an annual literary awards competition.
- Collect and issue domestic and international action alerts regarding threats to freedom of expression
- Organize letter writing campaigns on behalf of writers in prison or in danger around the world
- Organize local events to raise awareness of censorship and intimidation of writers around the world
- Assist writers in danger and in exile to continue their work unimpeded.
- Use advocacy and individual correspondence to assist writers unjustly imprisoned
Primary Issues of Focus:
- Censorship and intimidation of writers internationally and domestically
- Book banning in classrooms and libraries
- The rights of journalists, international and domestic
- Writers in prison internationally
- Defamation and insult laws internationally
- Killing with impunity of writers and journalists internationally